Skip to Main Content
Social Media Tone and Voice
- Use “We” tone instead of “I” when communicating on behalf of a UNC Charlotte college or department.
- Correct: We’re so excited to share some exciting news with you: the University Recreation Center was named best building in the state by XXXXX.
- Incorrect: I’m so proud of the fantastic alumni named to the Charlotte ‘40 under 40’ list this year.
- Consider the external user in your social media communications and if they are familiar with internal terms, phrases, or acronyms you may be using.
- When using emojis, make sure to use the default skin tone option (yellow) that provides a neutral presence for the brand.
- Replace “and” with ampersand (&) instead of plus (+) to save characters when necessary
- Do not use common acronyms that describe emotions (e.g. LOL, ROFL, OMG, etc.) in copy.